Mechanical Permit

Mechanical Permit

Mechanical Permit


A Mechanical Permit is required when any mechanical system is installed, altered, repaired, replaced or remodeled unless specifically exempted by the California Mechanical Code or by County Ordinance. Mechanical work is work on heating, cooling, and ventilation systems, including bath vents and wood stoves. It also includes installation, alteration, or repair of gas piping between the meter or liquid petroleum gas (LPG) tank and equipment.


When is a Mechanical Permit required? (some examples)


• Install, alter, or repair gas piping between the meter or LPG tank and an appliance, either indoors or outdoors.

• Install bath fans, dryer exhausts, kitchen range exhausts, and appliances that are required to be vented.

• Install an unvented fuel-fired appliance, such as “gas log” sets.

• Install a wood stove, fireplace insert, pellet stove, or related venting.

• Install or change any part of a heating or cooling system that needs to be vented into any kind of chimney.


When is a Mechanical Permit not required? (some examples)


• Replace any minor part that does not change the equipment beyond its original certification or make it unsafe.

• Install portable air conditioners, such as window units, that plug into an electrical outlet.

• Install portable heating appliances, cooking appliances, clothes dryers, and other portable appliances, such as freezers, washing machines, and refrigerators.

• Install portable ventilation appliances such as room air cleaners and whole-house window fans.

• Change furnace filters.



If you are still not sure if you need a Mechanical Permit, please contact City Hall. 


Please fill out the Mechanical Permit Application and do one of the following:

• Email To: KMinami [at]

• Bring To: City Hall at 650 Canyon Del Rey Blvd, Del Rey Oaks, CA 93940

• Mail To: City of Del Rey Oaks, 650 Canyon Del Rey Blvd, Del Rey Oaks, CA 93940


For more information on obtaining a Mechanical Permit, please visit or call City Hall at (831) 394-8511.